EPD webinar: Updating the numbers behind the environmental claims of the Australian timber industry
14th October 2016
On Friday 14th October 11.00 – 11.30 am (AEDT) a webinar was held to update and inform industry and encourage participation in the FWPA funded project Australian Wood Product Manufacturers - Environmental Life Cycle Inventory Update (PNA384-1516).
These EPDs provide a sound, independently verified basis for:
• Backing up the environmental claims of the Australian timber and wood products industry
• Comparing the environmental performance of timber to competing materials (e.g. concrete, steel, plastic)
• Establishing Wood First policies and campaigns such as Planet Ark’s Make it Wood
• Improving customers’ ratings within Green Star and the ISCA Infrastructure Sustainability rating tools.
Data is being updated for Australian hardwood, softwood, particleboard, MDF, plywood and glulam timber as well as softwood and native hardwood forestry.
Speakers and topics included:
Stephen Mitchell, Principal - SM Associates
Jeff Vickers, Senior Consultant - thinkstep
– Key facts on these industry average EPDs
– The business case for Australian timber industry EPDs
– Use of timber EPDs in marketing and in Green Star
– Progress update on data collection
– Specific company EPDs.
Roy Head, Sales Manager - Australian Solar Timbers
Daniel Wright, National Marketing Manager - Australian Sustainable Hardwoods
– Our motivation to contribute?
– What’s involved?
Who should attend?
– Australian timber producers
– Marketing managers.