Meet emerging forestry leaders
Twenty-eight emerging leaders have graduated from FWPA’s pilot industry leadership program, For Our Future – and provided strong positive feedback on its value and impact.
Comments from participants reflected the universal positive feedback for FWPA’s subsidised leadership training program, For Our Future.
Typical of the many positive comments were the following:
“In the rush of work, it’s easy to become tunnel-visioned and task-focused, and this training was a reminder of the value of taking a higher- level approach. The program was brilliant, exhausting, challenging. I have been very privileged to have been given the opportunity to attend.” – Neil Turner, Harvest Forester, Australian Bluegum Plantations
"You know the presenters are good when the breaks all sneak up on you and you do not look at your watch all week. The training has made me much more self-aware and confident than I had been.” – Tammy Auld, Woodflow Manager, Timberlands Pacific
“The content was excellent and personally challenging, but there was even more value in getting to know and learn with a committed group of future forestry leaders.” – Brad Barr, Wespine Resource Manager
The intensive training included initial assessment and testing, different ways of framing issues, organisational dynamics, consultation processes, conflict resolution and other leadership skills.
Participants heard from industry experts and diverse leaders in other fields, and worked together on identifying challenges facing the forest and wood products industry.
Each participant attended one of two intensive four-day residential sessions (one in Western Australia, and one in South Australia), before coming together as a group for a five-day learning program in Melbourne in early June.
Along the way, they became part of stronger regional and national leadership cohorts, while learning new skills and coming to a better understanding of industry issues.
The training was delivered by the Australian Rural Leadership Foundation in conjunction with Leadership Victoria and experiential leadership development experts Polykala.
FWPA Managing Director, Ric Sinclair, thanked the participants and their employers for their commitment to the program.
“We’re proud to take an active role in helping equip future leaders with industry-leading skills and knowledge,” he said.
Director: Leadership Programs, Charlie Morrice, of the Australian Rural Leadership Foundation, described the enthusiasm of participants as a joy to see.
“Experiencing challenging situations in our programs produces deeper leadership learning – the type of learning that lasts, and the type of learning that changes personal behaviour when faced with leadership challenges. The participants heard from leaders from both inside and outside the industry. The sharing of attitudes and experiences of these leaders, who have ‘been there’ helps to ground in reality the concepts and practices uncovered by the program,” he said.
The full list of For Our Future 2018 participants is:
- Adrian Marti, Silviculture Manager GT, Australian Bluegum Plantations Pty Ltd
- Alan Rossouw, Regional Manager, Timberlands Pacific Pty Ltd
- Alison Read, Resource Manager, South West Fibre Pty Ltd
- Andrew Matheson, Estate Manager, OneFortyOne Plantations
- Angus Spreckley, Harvesting Forester, Australian Bluegum Plantations Pty Ltd
- Ben Bloxsome, Maintenance Manager, LV Dohnt & Co Pty Ltd
- Ben Bradshaw, Research and Development Manager, Australian Bluegum Plantations Pty Ltd
- Brad Barr, Resources Manager, Wespine Pty Ltd
- Bronwen Williams, Senior Policy Officer, Forest Products Commission
- Clarissa Brandt, Communications Manager, Timber Queensland
- Clinton Sim, Operations Manager, Green Triangle Forest Products
- Courtney Pink, Regional Forester, SFM Asset Management
- Darren Sanders, Safety and Compliance Advisor, Bunbury Fibre Exports
- Flávia Bonora, HDR student – PhD, University of the Sunshine Coast
- Gavin Dohnt, Operations Manager, LV Dohnt & Co Pty Ltd
- Jane Charles, Operations Projects Officer, Forest Products Commission
- Joel Turner, Resource Manager, SFM Asset Management
- Mark Wells, Harvesting Manager, Green Triangle Forest Products
- Martin Clark, Operations Manager GT, Australian Bluegum Plantations Pty Ltd
- Matt Giles, Forester, WA Plantation Resources
- Matthew Cooper, Assistant Fire Operations Officer, WA Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions
- Murray Anning, Silviculture Manager, Australian Bluegum Plantations Pty Ltd
- Neil Turner, Harvest Forester, Australian Bluegum Plantations Pty Ltd
- Ray Cosh, Port Manager, Australian Bluegum Plantations Pty Ltd
- Tammy Auld, Woodflow Manager, Timberlands Pacific Pty Ltd
- Tim Mort, Associate Consultant, The Fifth Estate Consultancy Pty Ltd
- Zarko Jovanovic, Production Coordinator, Wesbeam Pty Ltd
- Zarko Kojic, Quality Assurance Coordinator, Wesbeam Pty Ltd