Next Generation Timber Harvesting Systems: Opportunities for remote controlled and autonomous machinery (PRC437-1718)
This project was developed to help facilitate the opportunity for developing next generation harvesting systems, and is a comprehensive review of opportunities that exist within our current harvesting practices for either remote or autonomous control, including:
- Felling and processing at the stump.
- Extraction to the roadside or designated processing location
- Loading on to the secondary (i.e. truck) transportation system.
- Transportation of logs and or stems to either a log yard or final destination.
- The harvesting process will include tree felling, extraction, processing, loading out, and trucking.
The report highlights and recommends the most immediate opportunities where Research and Development efforts should be focussed.